Role: Technical Manager
Reporting to: Chief Engineering & Technology Officer
Direct Reports: Media Assistants and MCR Engineers
Location: Ealing Studios
Job Classification: Permanent
Hours of work: 37.5 hours, 5 days a week
Racecourse Media Group is the umbrella organisation for those 34 racecourses which hold an interest in Racing TV (Sky 426, Virgin 536 and 411), Racing TV International (international betting shop/digital service) and Racecourse Data Company (licensor of Pre-Race Data). Racing TV and Racing TV International also broadcast racing from all 26 Irish racecourses.
Day-to-day management of the Broadcast Engineering operation (including Media Management systems) at RMG’s production facility.
- Assist the CE&TO with day-to-day tasks within the Broadcast Engineering department, including deputising for the CE&TO in their absence.
- Assist with the design and implementation of a new tapeless media system (as part of the wider production facility re-design).
- Work with CE&TO to ensure the continuing technical reliability of the RTV, RTVi, SiS & Extra/W&B channels through management of 3rd-party suppliers of Engineering & Technology Facilities & Services.
- Ensure the Media Management workflows & procedures are always current and reflect the most efficient processes.
- Reporting on engineering issues to the production management meetings.
- Emergency Cover for MCR & MM.
- Manage the MCR team, ensuring the smooth operation of the department.
- Manage the Media Management team, including the workload of each MM team member, ensuring smooth operation of the department.
- Ensure the nearline storage is maintained with appropriate capacity – including liaising with Production to determine any content to send to or restore from deep archive.
- Maintain the MM Team Fault Logs, and follow up on any unresolved issues to find a solution.
- Manage the tapeless system, including liaising with Timeline to ensure faults are dealt with promptly and effectively.
- Manage and maintain (in collaboration with Production) an archive & deletion policy that is appropriate for RMG’s needs
Measures for the role:
- Adherence to completion of work by key deadlines and ensuring others in the team do the same
- Managing and maintaining work and SLAs to agreed company standards
- Continued stability and reliability of the MCR and Media Management systems
(academic, technical and professional)
- Degree-level qualification or similar, in a technical/engineering subject, or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Relevant technical training or demonstrable equivalent experience on media management systems
- Relevant management training / qualification, or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Working knowledge and understanding of the procedures and disciplines of broadcast engineering
- Working knowledge and understanding of the procedures and disciplines of media management
- Creating and managing key working relationships with internal stakeholders and third-party suppliers
- Experience managing and developing a small team
- Working knowledge and understanding of the procedures and disciplines of broadcast engineering in relation to sports broadcasting
- Ability to juggle conflicting priorities and demands
- Ability to manage multiple work streams
- Strong technical skills, including using relevant media management systems
- Troubleshooting issues and communicating/escalating these to other teams and/or suppliers where needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
- Strong IT Skills, including profiency in the use of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc)
Competencies / behaviours
- Ability to work effectively under pressure independently as well as support other colleagues as needed
- Organised, analytical and methodical
- Able to understand the diverse needs of different colleagues in the team and stakeholders and adjust accordingly
- Able to exercise judgement and use initiative to make independent decisions
- Motivates and inspires colleagues in the team
- Focuses on delivering good customer service
- Has a desire to strive to develop professionally
- Acceptance of the 7-day/week nature of the broadcast industry, meaning that some out-of-hours work may be required
- A passion or interest in horseracing
How to apply:
Please send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com by midnight Sunday, 26th June 2022.
RMG Operations is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, ethnic origin, disability, age or political or religious belief in its recruitment or other employment policies.