DEPUTY HEAD GROUNDSPERSON and TRAINEE CLERK OF THE COURSE
Job Description and Duties
Pontefract Racecourse, which stages flat racing on 16 days between April and October each year, are seeking a Deputy Head Grounds person to work alongside the Head Groundsman, assisting him in all aspects of maintenance, preparation and repair of the racetrack, Stands and Enclosures, with the opportunity to train and act as Assistant to the Clerk of the Course.
This is an excellent opportunity for an existing Grounds person who is ambitious, self-motivated and keen to progress and grow.
The successful person should:
- Have significant experience of turf management with relevant turf care qualifications,
- Currently work in a grounds maintenance position,
- Have experience with all types of machinery,
- Have experience of working in a racecourse or sporting environment (desirable but not essential)
They should also:
- pride themselves on having high standards and consistently achieving good results,
- compile detailed records relating to racecourse maintenance,
- possess good verbal communication skills,
- be an organised team player, self-motivated, show initiative and work well under pressure.
The successful candidate will have the scope to broaden their position by training to attain Clerk of the Course accreditation.
Basic Hours: Monday to Thursday 8am to 4.30pm and 8am to 3.30pm on a Friday.
Weekend work will be likely during the racing season in preparation for race meetings.
Salary: Up to £15 per hour, commensurate with experience, with overtime rates paid on weekends, increasing if Clerk of the Course Accreditation is achieved.
Holiday: 25 days a year plus Bank Holidays increasing after 5 years
Closing Date: Friday 5th January 2024 with interviews during w/c 15th January