Job title: Greenkeeper
Based at: Aintree Racecourse, Golf Course & Driving Range
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 40 hours per week
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity for an Experienced Greenkeeper to join our Aintree Golf Course team
About The Jockey Club
The Jockey Club stages thrilling sporting occasions and live events nationwide including The Grand National, The Cheltenham Festival & The Derby. Owning & operating 15 courses, millions of people every year enjoy the special experiences we offer through racing, music, food and entertainment on race days and beyond.
As the largest commercial group in British racing, we are guided by our mission to act for the long term good of the sport. Every penny we make goes back into racing to promote excellence within Britain’s second biggest spectator sport. Our people are what makes this possible
At The Jockey Club people are at the heart of what we do and drive our success. We are inclusive and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. Diverse, collaborative teams are pivotal to our success and support the potential and growth of all our people.
The Greenkeeper will
• Assist in the operation, maintenance, and improvement of sports turf areas including the Golf Course, Driving Range, and all outdoor areas.
• Assist with the maintenance, preparation and renovation of the Racecourse and wider Estates as required, including operational delivery of events.
• Undertake shared responsibility of the Golf Course and Estates, with the intention of achieving the best possible playing standards.
• Maintain and safely operate a range of machinery: handheld, ride on and PTO driven.
• Assess and report course conditions to the Golf Centre Duty Manager.
• Passionate about sportsturf with a strong knowledge of golf.
•Experience of golf course set-up, assessment of conditions, daily maintenance, and repair
•Experience and knowledge of maintenance and safe operation of various machinery
• Working knowledge of H&S, and the ability to consistently demonstrate safe working practices within a Golf Course environment.
• Understanding of consistency of a playing surface and ability to try and achieve the best possible surface in terms of trueness and playability.
• Experience of irrigation systems and operational knowledge.
• Knowledge of safe and best practice in the application of fertilisers and PPP via pedestrian spreaders & or mounted boom sprayers/spreaders
• Genuine interest in the components involved in Greenkeeping: Golf, Machinery, Biology, Turf Science
• Ability to problem solve, find solutions, and use initiative.
• Takes pride in own work with eagerness to contribute to a wider team.
• Must hold a full UK Driving Licence
What we offer in return
• All colleagues can go along to any of our race day or music events free of charge - along with 3 friends or family with our TeamPass Ticket scheme.
• An award-winning pension scheme provider with a generous employer contribution
• A healthcare cash back plan enabling you to claim money back on health & wellbeing services.
• 25 days annual leave
• Access to a suite of Learning & Development training resources from renowned providers
• A whole host of other benefits including free eyecare vouchers, a ride to work cycle scheme & discounts across varying retailers & services.
If you think you have everything we’re looking for and more, then we’d love to hear from you. Don’t hang around, our closing date for this vacancy is December 15th but we reserve the right to bring this forward if we have many applications.
This role may be subject to a criminal record check, standard or enhanced DBS check or BHA Suitability Check. By applying you confirm that you are happy for these checks to be carried out.